What We Do
- Arrange low cost spay and neuter services for feral and stray cats. For $50, we will arrange a spay or neuter appointment at a participating clinic. In addition to the surgery, cats will receive rabies and distemper vaccinations, as well as a mandatory left ear tip – a universally accepted symbol to identify a spayed or neutered and vaccinated community cat. Cats may also receive fluids and a flea treatment. Appointments are typically weekdays and are required prior to trapping the cat. A SCRUFF volunteer can educate on the trapping process. Cats must arrive in a covered humane trap (e.g. TruCatch, Havahart). Traps are available to lease by appointment and a security deposit is required. Cat carriers are not acceptable.
If you cannot afford $50, we ask you to contribute what you can afford. SCRUFF will not deny services to any feral or stray cat. Payment is requested on day of surgery (check payable to SCRUFF or cash only).
- Provide information about feral cats via our phone line and website
- Community outreach and education, including TNR workshops
- Hands-on trapping instruction and equipment loans
What We Do NOT Do:
- Emergency Rescues. Instead, call your local veterinarian, animal shelter, or animal emergency hospital.
- Investigate Animal Cruelty Cases. If you suspect animal cruelty or abuse, call your local law enforcement agency, call the Mohawk Hudson Humane Society at (518) 434-8128, or visit their website mohawkhumanesociety.org.
- Take in Cats or Kittens. However, we may be able to help you find a local animal rescue organization.
- Remove Stray or Feral Cats. We support the practice of caring for these “community” cats.
If you are aware of a feral cat or colony that is in need of assistance,
please contact SCRUFF at (518) 526-3372
Please note that we are a volunteer organization, and without public support, we cannot continue to provide low cost spay/neuter services. Our services rely exclusively on donations and on payments received from spay/neuter fees. Regardless of limited resources and volunteers, we are committed to every community cat in need and will assist you as soon as possible.
Thank you for making a difference!